úterý 13. září 2011

Life in GDL update


So I have a place to stay now! If you'd like to send me something, this is the address: Vallarta 2759C, Arcos Vallarta, Guadalajara, Jalisco, 44130, Mexico (please, no drugs, it's a bit sensitive theme here-at least for the police...)
Zvětšit mapu
It's about 40mins walking to the centre and between 30 and 50mins by bus to school (depends on traffic, driver's abilities and mood). Very close there are many bars and pubs -> the locality is ideal :)
I can go to school only by bus 629B (or by taxi). The problem is it shares part of the route with lines  629A, 629-1 and 629-2, which end in other parts of the city. Considering they told me the agglomeration of Guadalajara, Zapopan (where the univeristy is) a Tlaquepaque has about 7 million of people (GDL itself 4), I have not much of interest in testing where they go.
Of course, there are almost no bus stops, you just wave at the bus and it stops. Or not. For this reason you can sometimes ride a bus for more than a kilometre and then stop four times in fifty metres. Once I took a bus, the driver drove us around the block and told everyone to get out. I guess he wanted to take a nap or buy something to eat.
The drivers tend to tune their buses, so many times you can read a quotation from the Bible or a picture of Jesus. Anyway there's no need for warnings that you must hold a pole...If you don't, you end up probably in blood within first acceleration or braking - they really race here.
If there's a lot of people in the bus you can enter the back door; then you send the money to the driver by other passengers. Sometimes a spicy fruit seller enters the bus and tries to do some business. I must admit, they are successful from time to time.

It's hard to spot, but there are spinners on the back wheels...

In any case it's quite common to see soldiers or policemen driving a pick-up while others stand at the back. They look quite serious with their submachine guns. I haven't seen a single policeman without a bulletproof vest yet...
Local police cars...I haven't had the courage to take a pic of them myself yet.

As for the weather, it's very nice for me almost all the time, from 25 to 30 degrees and a lot of sun. Now the sun sets a bit after eight.

There are some photos from a trip to the local canyon  (Barranca de Oblatos, a valley about 600m deep, unfortunately you can't go down to the river) and some from the school: http://kubakozlik.rajce.idnes.cz/2011-07_mexico

I have to share the worst thing that has happened to me here: michelada. It's a mixture of spices, lemon juice, tomato juice and beer. I can't say it's terrible.It's much worse. To explain how much I was disgusted, let's say I's rather eat broccoli  than drinking this again...

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat